How did God shape Canada through historical events and the people involved and through the unique geographical factors which are “Canada”? Students will use the textbook Connections Canada (Oxford publishers) as a base for introducing and understanding the story of Canada’s early development and First Nations peoples. A variety of learning activities and responses will encourage students to empathize with the people who experienced these events and to express their learning in assignments and in actions.
In this course students will develop skills in;
- Inquiry: Inquiry is encouraged, valued and required in this course. Students will be inspired to ask questions and follow lines of inquiry that they are curious about.
- Critical Thinking: Throughout the course critical thinking will be a focus as students are encouraged to consider evidence of God’s hand in history.
- Research skills: extending inquiry by using video, guided online searches
- Presentation skills: Students will share their learning through graphs, tables, maps, writing and visual presentations
Ready to consider joining the course? We are offering two options this year:
Asynchronous: This is the traditional Online model of “any time, any pace, any place”. The student works on the course independently. The teacher is available on Skype to help with questions, editing writing.
Synchronous: Students meet with their teacher in a virtual class on Zoom. Cameras are on as our purpose is to build community. The teacher will introduce the lesson and assignment for the week, give instructions, lead discussion, and prepare the students for the week’s work. Students commit to keeping pace with the class and to attending the weekly meeting which will last approximately 15 minutes. Socials 5 is scheduled for Tuesday 1:00 – 1:15.
This course is based on three 45 minute lessons every week.
Students are required to download and complete or print assignments, scan (either by taking pictures or physically scanning) and upload their assignments within Moodle. Access to HCOS subscription sites such as Discovery Education is included in the course.
Synchronous students will use Zoom for class meetings.
All students will use Skype to ask questions, get help from the teacher.
Please order the text book when you enroll in this course.
- Connections Canada: ISBN# 9780195414295
If you would like to examine any of courses, or place an order, please contact the office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll free 1-877-862-2375 x473